Monday, March 27, 2006

Wireless Monday + Thorpe's Soap Box

#1 posting 3.27.2006
From Wichita KS

I am coming to you today with a wireless connection from the Hampton Inn. If you are staying at a Hampton Inn they will give you a "bridge" wireless device to help your laptop connect with the world.
Anything to keep you up to date.

ALL STAR GAMES
IA
The North Central Conference girls beat the Twin Lakes Conference girls 57-50. Dani Huss from Ft. Dodge St. Edmund had 21 for the NC, Aubrey Hauswirth of Pocahontas had 15 for the TL.

COACHING OPENING
MN
Farmington had an ad in the StarTribune yesterday for girls basketball coach

It is Monday. That means it is time for---

THORPE ON A SOAP BOX:Gopher edition

Kevin found me on the first hole of Pelican working on a fundraiser. Fran and I were trying to dodge balls and measure the closest ball to the cup. No one got more than 14 feet. I might have had a chance.

I watched the Washington game and thought the announcers were a little hard on Pam. It appeared to me she was trying to show some loyalty to her Seniors and do the offensive defensive thing with her two guards. We have all been there. I think it might not have been one of her better coached games but I haven’t seen many perfect coaches. We all have off days. For that matter I haven’t seen many perfect players or how about perfect parents. Coaching can be a lonely job at times and I am in no position and don’t want to second guess another coach. I had enough of that when I coached.

However I will comment on the non basketball stuff I observed. I always believed its better to lose a game than lose your team. I did disagree with the statements in the paper criticizing Jamie for her play in the game. After big losses its important to heal. I would have rather seen Pam get Jamie in a room one on one and deal with her in private. Tell the media it was a disappointing loss but talk about the positive things the team accomplished (record, big wins, etc.) College kids are still kids.

I also know we have all been extremely angry after games at these kids of ours that don’t run what we want, or don’t follow the game plan. We are human and it's only human to be upset. I am also sure that coach Borton realizes this and doesn’t need me or anyone else to remind her. After all opinions are like armpits-- -we all have a couple and they all stink.

Good luck to the Gophers and coach Borton next year.

Dave Thorpe

Next up: from Gallup NM tomorrow