Monday, March 06, 2006

Thorpe with an E on a Soap Box

#2 posting 3.6.2006

It is Monday, that means it is Thorpe time.
I hope the E means excellence and not errors. Take it away Coach Thorpe.

Big week for me. I hit for the cycle on Tuesday and we won.

Living in a retirement Village and being a softball player with a coach got me thinking. I wonder if my coach gets phone calls from parents? If any on us have parents still living they might be in there 80s or 90s and more interested in trying to figure out Medicare D than how their kids are doing. I know being an old coach that there will be calls so who is going to call???? I finally figured it out. Their KIDS!!!!!! I can hear it now. “Coach I don’t mean to bother you and please don’t tell my Dad because he doesn’t know I am calling and would be embarrassed but I just can’t figure out why he is batting so low in the lineup. You know 40 years ago in Babe Ruth he hit .340 and I can show you his trophies. His Babe Ruth coach always batted him 3rd. I think you are making a mistake. I wonder...............”

I guess maybe the best coaching jobs are still orphanages with a lot of talent.

Good luck to everyone this week.
Dave Thorpe

For those that don't know here is Coach Thorpe's exploits on the cycle as tracked by the Villages Daily Sun.
http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/articles/2006/03/03/sports/sports01.txt

Next up state tournament results from Iowa