Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Iowa First Day overview

#3 posting 3.6.2006

The reason the rest of these postings are late is that I don't have a wireless internet connection (I am posting this from the Airport Radisson in Des Moines) and the Wells Fargo Arena is not set up for connections.

I got to the arena in plenty of time the ride in is nice and easy about 10 minutes. The media people were very nice as they didn't have my request filled. They got me situatated and I was ready to roll.

This is the first year at the Wells Fargo arena. It is the hockey home for the Iowa Stars and the folks on the first row of press row were complaining about their cold feet. I was on the far right on the corner in the second row of press row.

The venue is fine. It reminds me of the Excel Center in St. Paul. The problem I have is the food is all bad for me. That is generally the case in all athletic arenas, but as a diabetic it is not good for my blood.

As for the games:
The Iowa 1A tournament went according to schedule with the top four in the final Iowa poll all advancing. In the first game IKM beat Southeast Webster-Grand 63-45. They will play Twin River Valley who beat Central Decatur 41-25. Charter Oak-Ute finished off Postville’s season 53-26. And in the afternoon finale Treynor bounced Fairfield Maharishi 50-37. In the final poll of the year it was 1. IKM; 2. Charter Oak-Ute; 3. Treynor; 4. Twin River Valley.

In the evening bracket the 2A games got underway. North Butler beat Tipton 54-40 and AGWSR beat Solon 67-48. The interesting thing is Tipton and Solon belong to the Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Conference and both had horrible starts. Both had spirited comebacks. It now sets up a meeting between North Butler, who has only one loss and that was to their foe on Thursday AGWSR. AGWSR beat North Butler 50-29 early in the year. AGSWR is undefeated. AGSWR was #2 in the last statewide poll, North Butler #3.

Next up postings from this morning. first up IKM vs SE Webster-Grand