Monday, February 27, 2006

Thorpe + Soap Box

posting #2 2.27.2006

It is Monday, and that means Coach Thorpe has a few things to say:

I am sure most high school coaches would quickly admit that behind any successful high school program is a good feeder program. I know I was lucky at Osseo for all the hard working people donating their time and effort to help build a program.

What are just a couple of things I thought were important in a program??

First don’t cut the big kids!!!!!! A big lanky 7th grader is not going to be as coordinated as a smaller quick guard. At that level which kid is going to help you win?? The smaller quick and coordinated guard. It takes time for the bigger kids’ body to catch up with their coordination. I actually had kids that were cut or didn’t play much in traveling get Division 1 scholarships. I don’t know how many were cut and took up another activity where they get positive reinforcement and feel more comfortable. Emphasize to youth coaches to keep big kids!!

Second I liked to see kids play different positions. That bigger kid in 7th grade that plays with their back to the basket for 4 years but stops growing is not going to be an inside player in high school and certainly not college. It is difficult to make the transition from inside to the perimeter and face the basket. Allow kids at the younger level to do a variety of things and gain experience in different situations. I understand that all teams at all levels want to win. However the record at the lower level doesn’t always mean it is the best feeder program.

Well I need to get ready. I have a tee time I need to make. I was proud of myself yesterday. I skipped happy hour to honor a golf commitment. I shot a 40 for 9 holes. I may start selling my golf rookie card on eBay.

Hey Kevin. I am interested in the Merrimont Academy vs. Slippery Rock game in Wyoming. It’s only an 800 mile drive. Could you cover it next week?? I heard they have a good guard.

Dave Thorpe

Next up: later tonight with a backlog of papers