Monday, September 11, 2006

Recruiting & Lies

#1 posting 9.11.2006
your daily dose of girls basketball news & information

THE RECRUITING PROCESS
Brian McCormick's Basketball Player Development blog talks about the internet, AAU and lies.
Here are some of my takes on the article:
1. AAU is not better basketball than HS. They do have better players, and the players are bigger and faster, but the team game is not as good. That is because they don't practice enough, and maybe all these player think they are the one and no one buys into roles. Individual Skills are not worked on as much, again due to time constraints. It just isn't as sharp.
2. One reason I don't have comments on my blog is that when I worked at Varsity Online they were constantly cleaning up comments like such and such team sucks or so and so player sucks. I don't have time to clean up.
3. Not everyone that plays AAU is a D1 or D2 or even D3 player. I remember one college coach saying one AAU program director saying he has "produced" 73 D1 players. The college coach corrected him by saying he has sent 73 players to D1 schools.
4. Size and position are important. In the 2004-05 season the average D1 center was 6-3, the average forward was 6-1, and guards were 5-8, but starting guards were 5-9. D2 is 6-2, 5-10, and 5-7. If you want to be all conference the numbers go higher.
5. How do the players compete? I remember Coach Thorpe would notice how a player competed on non basketball things like video games. You can't turn it on and off. Either you are competitive in all facets of your life or you aren't.
6. Also everyone has an agenda. I would imagine so do I. My agenda is to get to the truth about who can do what. I use the numbers and I don't budge off that. If I tried to push a player that didn't measure up, I would lose credibility. I like to think of myself as an honest broker.

HAWKEYES EARLY STARTERS?
The Iowa Hawkeyes games may have an earlier start this year. They are asking fans which time would be more acceptable--6 or 6:30 pm. The Gopher game will be at 7 due to television commitments.

LATE MICHIGAN ACTION
Ewen-Trout Creek downed Lake Linden 49-39 on Friday. ETC got off to a 12-0 lead which held up the rest of the way. From the Ironwood Daily Globe.

Thanks to all the readers that make this site the first and last source of girls basketball news. . Keep up the good work. Keep me fed.

Next up: tomorrow morning