Monday, November 12, 2007

Opening Day Special #2: Small Things

#6 posting 11.12.2007
your daily dose of girls basketball news & information

OPENING DAY SPECIAL #2
Again a guest blogger takes over. In this posting it is celebrating the little things that make the high school season memorable. So with out further delay----Seashells & Balloons--

THINK SMALL THIS SEASON
You've collected a ton of van miles on the AAU circuit, countless hours have been spent in the gym, and maybe you've even visited a couple of colleges along the way. All well and good in the course of a players' summer, but we now stand on the brink of what it will all come down to - the new high school season. And just when the players, coaches and parents are thinking big thoughts and big dreams, I am going to ask you to spend some time embracing the little things this year.

The late coach Al McGuire called it Congratulating the Temporary. A way to live in the moment.
What, you think it can't be done? Let's all put our right hands over our tackle twill-covered hearts and and pledge together:

-I will buy something from every concession stand, home and away, and be sure to drop my change in the jar for whatever student group is working that night.

-I will come early or stay late to watch the game before or after my own player's game.

-I promise to high five at least one mascot during the year.

-Just for one night, I will not be going over all the mistakes on the way home.

-I will make plans to attend at least one holiday tournament...even if my team isn't playing. (watch for tips on how to celebrate a hardwood family holiday in December)

-I will actually research the Motion Offense and learn why it remains one of the most enduring ways to take over a ball game. (special note: there is no need to yell at the top of your lungs "Reverse It!")

-I hereby pledge to avoid using the following phrases: "you can't teach tall", "nothing but net" and "there's no 'I' in team".

-I will not make a big show of holding my breath around any player's gym bag or knee pads.

-I will sing the national anthem before every game, cheer when the teams come out and applaud heartily for every halftime performance.

-Even though I know it will be tough, I will not point out a ref's mistake, a scorer's lack of starting the clock right away, or how off key that one trumpet sounds in the pep band.

- I will say thank you to the coaches and take time to acknowledge the kid who showed extra hustle and spunk. Yes, even if she was on the opposing team, or was grabbing water bottles for the starters.

It's going to be a long season filled with memories, heartache and surprises around every corner. The big victories, upsets and triumphs will happen all on their own. It's up to you and me to make sure the magic of the quiet little things get their attention, too. Here's to a great season, and good luck girls!


Seashells & Balloons

next up: my take on the opening day