Friday, April 04, 2008

The Week That Was AAU 2008: Iowa State Tournament

#3 posting 4.4.2008
your daily dose of girls basketball news & information

THE WEEK THAT WAS AAU 2008: Iowa State Tournament
Spring is here (I hope) and the AAU season has already started. Last Saturday I made the rounds at Maple Grove watching 14u action. On Sunday Coach Teas & I traveled south down I35 to Des Moines Hoover to catch the Iowa State AAU tournament.

AAU is different than high school in that as a fan (or blogger) I can see many games in one day. I have a callus on my fingers from writing down all the action. The talent level is generally the same across the board, but you will still see the occasional blow out where the newly installed mercy rule could be invoked. With deeper talent, the possessions generally drop from the high school season. Assuming the same 66 possessions for each team, that means 6.6 possessions from about 11 possessions in the winter. The speed of the game is a bit faster.

One early trend is playing up. Every tournament had a team or teams playing up to go against bigger, faster, stronger competition. That is fine, but when it comes to national tournament time it is probably wiser to stay in class. All the teams I saw that played up were beat, but some made it to the finals against teams two or three years older.

HELP NEEDED
Now that the AAU Season is under way I need the help of the teams involved. Rosters, first and foremost are critical. If you have a website, make sure you have names and numbers. Some sites just have names. Talking to the college coaches this is not a good thing. It is much better to have numbers along with the names. Even better is to have the names on the back of the jersey. If you don’t have a website email me your rosters and I will get them up. If I don't have your website linked, let me know. Go to my profile and email me with the correct link.

I also am looking for schedules. When your team is off around the country it would be a good idea to email me the results. I will get them up.

Also I am trying to get all the winter all conference teams listed. I have a good start in some of the states, but there are holes. If I don’t have your conference’s list up, go to my profile and email me.

TEAM OF THE WEEK
Replacing 8 players from last year, IBCA Select Red has retooled and reloaded as they won the Iowa State AAU Junior Eligible tournament. They have added all state guard Jaime Printy (headed to Iowa) to their backcourt and up and coming Kionna Kellogg to the front court. The hold overs from last year include Trisha Nesbitt, another all state guard, and Amber Kirschbaum. Jessica McDowell (Northern Iowa) moved up from last year's second team. Nine of their players have been involved in the Iowa High School tournament at some point in their careers. IBCA uses a lot of different looks on defense and has team speed, athleticism and basketball savvy. IBCA was not at full strength when I saw them on Sunday with another addition 6-3 Katie Schechinger out due to family obligations. IBCA won’t be playing again until June.
Photo: IBCA Select Red coaches Adam DeJoode, and BJ Mayer, All photos by Teas.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Trisha Nesbitt
of IBCA Select Red was named tournament MVP by the folks in Des Moines and she is the first gbbrecruit player of the week in the summer of ’08. The point guard had a strong finish with 18 points over Team Iowa in the championship with 3s, drives and free throws. The point guard has good vision and communication skills and moves with confidence.

A word about how these teams are selected. It is ALL performance based. It is basically recognizing good performances for the week. To make this list I have established ground rules. #1. I have to see the player perform during the week. #2. The player needs to be above 100 pp100. #3. The player needs to be above .500 floor %. I will accept a lower floor % if the pp100 is above 100. #4. This is a change from the winter high school season---the player needs to have 6 possessions for the game. In summer ball many teams have 10 players that rotate. With 66 possessions on average, 6 possessions is about the average.

TEAM OF THE WEEK
First Team
Kionna Kellogg, IBCA Select Red (Linn-Mar)
Trisha Nesbitt, IBCA Select Red (Ames)
Jaime Printy, IBCA Select Red (Ames)
Kelsie Reeves, Rails (DM Lincoln)
Caitlin Wilson, Rails (DM Lincoln)
Second Team
Mariah Duke, All Iowa Attack 17 (CR Kennedy)
Ally Jensen, All Iowa Attack 17 (Ballard)
Natalie Kalmes, Southern MN Heat (Lewiston-Altura)
Al Oney, IBCA Select Blue (CR Washington)
Amber Streyfeller, Rails (DM Lincoln)
Honorable Mention
Sam Abens, All Iowa Attack 17 (Knoxville)
Lindsey Smith, Team Iowa (Dewitt Central)

DEFENDER OF THE WEEK
Amber Kirschbaum of IBCA Select Red (Spirit Lake) was a dynamic force in both games I saw, controlling the boards and aware of what was happening around her. She also had 6 steals in the championship game against Team Iowa. Kirschbaum jumps like a kangaroo and is strong.

D team
Ally Jensen, All Iowa Attack 17 (Ballard)
Amber Kirschbaum, IBCA Select Red (Spirit Lake)
Brooke Schiling, Southern MN Heat (Lewiston-Altura)
Taylor Smith, Cardinals (Central Decatur)
Sara Wagner, Rails (DM Lincoln)

NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK
This goes to Kionna Kellogg (Ames) making it a clean sweep for IBCA Select Red in the awards. She is a 6-1 lean forward (2010) that moves well and has good hands. She had a strong finish Sunday with 28 points in the two games I watched. She did her damage in the paint.
To be considered for this award I have to see the player for the first time during the week.

POLLS
Since action has not really heated up, these can be considered pre-season type polls.
17u
1. North Tartan Larson
2. MN Stars Hested/Borowicz
3. IBCA Select Red
4. All Iowa Attack 17

15u
1. Team Iowa

14u
1. IBCA Select Blue
2. Southern MN Heat

12u
1. MN Stars Farview

More will be added when I see more teams, and I am given the rosters and schedules (go to my profile to email me).

THIS WEEKEND
The MYAS has events at Park Center and Champlin Park. There are all star games in Glencoe, Bird Island, Pierz and Concordia St. Paul. Most of these are benefits or conference all star games. The Minnesota coaches All star game will be in a few weeks at St. Thomas.

next up: breaking news