Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More Tournament News, SD AA All State

#2 posting 4.16.2008
your daily dose of girls basketball news & information

NORTH DAKOTA REPORTS
Barb Metcalf is the new coach at West Fargo. Here is a detailed story from the West Fargo Pioneer.

SOUTH DAKOTA REPORTS
The AA All State list is ruled by juniors. From the Rapid City Journal.

MORE MINNESOTA REPORTS
ALL CONFERENCE
Here is the West Central South All Conference list
Emily Roering, Minnewaska 11 conference MVP
Cassie Jacobs, Minnewaska 11
Amie Chan, Minnewaska 12
Emily Balfany, Yellow Medicine East 12
Anne Jepson, Yellow Medicine East 12
Kayla Dahlmann, ACGC 11
Lauren Kinzler, ACGC 10
Liberty Slinden, ACGC 11
Abby Fragodt, Benson 10
Courtney Frank, Benson 12
Hannah Wenaas, Montevideo 12
Beka Schwendemann, Montevideo 10
Megan Dierks, Morris 11
Andrea Rheingans, LQPV 11
Micaela Erickson, LQPV 10
Honorable Mention
Brittany Mensing, Minnewaska 11
Macy McKay, Yellow Medicine East 11
Kathy Lamecker, ACGC 12
Keri Mikkelson, Benson 12
Taylor Skoglund, Montevideo 12
Stef Strobel, Morris 11
Whitley Strei, LQPV 11
Carrie Hebrink, BOLD 12

MORE WEEKEND TOURNAMENT REPORTS
The Mpls Lady Cats 14U won the 17U MYAS bracket at Eastview this past weekend and they looked pretty good, considering its their first tournament back together. They beat the South Dakota Mustangs in the first game 41-19, 43 Hoops 40-34 in the second game and Eagan 41-29 for the championship.
Brianna Williams (Hopkins), Aubrey Davis (Bloomington Kennedy) and Tacita Gonzales (St. Paul Johnson) played extremely well and don't look like they've missed a beat from March using tremendous pressure defense. Kaylani Edwards (Kennedy) looked pretty good considering she's coming off the severe ankle sprain in February and Sarina Baker (DeLaSalle) looked pretty good coming off her severe ankle injury with lots of boards from both.

TOURNAMENT COMING
The Minnesota Fury will hosting the state qualifier on April 25-27 at Bloomington Kennedy for the 14s through the 19s.

SHOOTING CLINIC
Here is a press release from Tom Nordland,
THE GAME NEEDS THIS
As you might have noticed from the Memphis breakdown in the NCAA Finals, poor to mediocre shooting is still rampant. I have an answer to the shooting woes, and it came about by my learning to shoot as a junior high and high school player in Minneapolis, then getting all the success I had, and then going to college at Stanford on a basketball scholarship and promptly losing my shot in the first week of practice. Looking back I can see I was a ”one-trick” pony with just my shot -- no clue as to how to play defense [we played zone for all those years], pass, set screens, etc. -- so when I started getting shots blocked and had to learn to work off the dribble and use picks and screens, I was lost. My shot disappeared for 32 years. When it came back, out of the blue in 1989, I was able to figure it out and now I can teach the skill like few others. I’ve also had great training in the art of coaching, so I now offer both a technique for great shooting and a way to learn and coach it. My gift is being able to “see” what’s needed, the essence of shooting. (My background can be read on my website)

Next up: College Reports