Monday, May 22, 2006

Thorpe's Soap Box: Competition Edition

#1 posting 5.22.2006
Your daily dose of girls basketball news and information

THORPE ON A SOAP BOX: Competiton Edition
Today Coach Thorpe talks about competitive situations and players

Again the old retired guy flashes back to the week before regions many years ago.(They say part of getting old is living in the past)

After practice like I did so often I gathered the team in a small room and attempted to get them ready and focused for regions. Also, as usual, my assistants would fall asleep after about 15 minutes of listening to me. After all, they have heard the same speech for about 10 years now. I think they may have had them numbered. “Thorpe is using his number 8 speech today.” However, I always believed the most important quality of an assistant coach was loyalty (I was lucky over the years) they put up with me.

I remember making a decision to confront one of my players. I always believed the emotional health of a team is extremely important and I calculated the risk before I did it. First, she could handle it. She had good self esteem. Second, the team needed to have it happen and third we needed it to win. This particular player was a Division 1 recruit getting ready to go off to college that fall. I was not happy with her effort. I looked at her and asked her the following question.
“You are a top recruit and have already signed a full scholarship. Physically you are a woman playing against kids that are much smaller and less skilled. Why don’t you win the drills in practice?”


It got quiet as anytime you confront an issue. After a short silence she gave me the answer I was looking for: "I guess I am not competing as hard as I should."

That gave me the opening to talk about being COMPETITIVE. I told her we are heading into regions and a Division one player should dominate the drills and take that competitive attitude into the game. I challenged her by saying we had seniors in the room that wanted to go out by playing and winning a State tournament and if she let us down we would be very upset.
I know that you don’t change natures and she wasn’t going to totally change hers. However I also know that you can change your nature and turn up the intensity for a game or two if challenged.


Early in the regions she sprawled out on the court for a loose ball. Remembering her long body on the floor and our bench standing and cheering I remember thinking "We are going to be OK.“
Being competitive was a quality that I valued greatly in choosing my teams. Good skills are great and I was blessed with teams that had those. However, I always would choose the kid that would compete over the kid with nice skills but didn’t compete. I asked myself who did I want to climb into that foxhole during battle. I wanted a kid that would do what was necessary to win.
I know many parents were disappointed in their kids playing time and would point out their skills. I would have liked to have said “Your daughter is a great horse player and would probably win the hot shot competition but I want someone that is willing to compete.”


However, I handled it more diplomatically. If you value the importance of choosing competitive kids over the kids with better skills. (Hopefully you will find kids with both) you often have to live with more turnovers. I will take the tradeoff.

Anyway, I only mentioned the meeting that worked out. I didn’t mention the many where I was so proud of my motivational talks only to be humbled quickly. After biting the head off a couple of chickens to draw blood (I apologize to PETA} and giving a what I thought was a very emotional talk some player would raise their hand and ask "What time is the dance after the game on Friday??"

Kids can humble a coach very quickly.

Just some thoughts.
Dave Thorpe

Can't get enough of Thorpe? Now get Thorpe on a Soap Box by the Case

ANDERSON A FINALIST
Jolene Anderson, Wisconsin is a finalist for the 20U National team. She is one of 18 players out to get one of the 12 spots on the roster. The press release from the University of Wisconsin has a list of the 18 hoping to make the trip to Mexico City for the Americas 20U championships. Joanne McCallie of Michigan State is the coach of the squad.

COACHING NEWS
MN
Who is the Eden Prairie coach? It won't be announced until later this week according to the AD staff I called this morning. Rumors swirling about the State AAU tournament indicated it may be Pete Serio, husband of Lynx head coach Suzie McConnell Serio, but I have also heard one of the EP football coaches. Time will tell.

COACHING OPENINGS

Thanks to all the readers for all your help. If you have news zip me an email from my profile.

Next up: tonight with the 15s state tournament. First 15 Out & About: MN Stars Antl (coaches name) vs North Tartan. With these games waiting in line: NC Heat vs 43 Hoops Lady Elite; MN Total Package vs MN Stars Schmitz; and the final NC Heat vs MN Total Package. The 14s are in the wings.