Monday, December 03, 2007

Notes from Behind the Scorers Table

#5 posting 12.3.2007
your daily dose of girls basketball news & information

NOTES FROM BEHIND THE SCORERS TABLE

Today marks the return of our special guest writer. Today's piece is on the view from the scorer's table. Take it away---

Notes from Behind the Scorers table

Way back when peach baskets were replaced with nets and the the girls weren’t allowed to cross over the half court line, I learned how to take care of the A team scorebook while playing for the B team. Little did I know that was the first step into a world that is only known to people with a sharp eye, a keen sense of detail and a sharpened pencil. A world full of basketball lessons, laughs and at times public disdain as I began to score games throughout boys and girls versions of traveling tournaments, AAU shootouts and finally making the Big Time...varsity hoops.

From my folding chair, I have experienced an insiders view with many sights and sounds:

-Like seeing which kids would sneak a peak at their point total.
-Or enduring coaches that yell non-stop. And then seeing those same coaches getting frustrated when their own players would get tee-ed up for complaining to the ref.
-I have observed the differences in vertical leaps between a 6th grade girls game and a 10th grade boys team, as well as the differences in the language those same players use.
-And yes, I've noticed which refs like to sip a power drink during timeouts. Or who will sit down and rest. What refs like to take shots themselves, and even for one day, I even saw a ref doing push ups between games to make sure he got his strength workout in.

As for sounds, I have been fortunate to hear some great anthem singers and pep bands.
And I've picked up the sighs from the bench when Billy shot yet again, instead of passing to the wing.

And I have been yelled at. Boy have I gotten an earful.
By the ref who wanted me to watch him give the number of player who fouled, NOT just write in what I saw.
By the coach who wanted me to change that same number to another player, and I refused.
By the mom who took the time to point out that not only was I horrible, but so was the volunteer running the clock, as well as the refs. This diatribe happened following a 5th grade game where her daughter fouled out. (and could have fouled out twice if they had counted all her fouls)

But what keeps me scoring basketball games is really simple. For the love of what's possible.
-To watch a player finally getting the start he had earned five games ago, and then go out and have the game of his life.
-To see the promise in the eyes of a bench player getting pumped up to go in the game.
-To enjoy watching a coach pull a player aside for a teaching moment, not a tantrum.
-Seeing firsthand how seriously refs take their position, and watching them make good calls in spite of what they hear from the bleachers.
-Having the best seat in the house for an upset of monumental proportions. At any age and skill level.
-Watching the tears in the eyes of the parents as they applaud for a player fouling out in their last game, scoring their 1000th point or even making their first basket.

And so I live for the next game. Armed with my #2 pencils and my bottle of water, I'll be writing down the possessions and tallying the totals of all players. But even more, I'll be counting my blessings that I've got a front row seat to all the twists and turns of a basketball game, and the magic of what can happen when a team believes they can do anything.


Thanks to Seashells & Balloons for another great piece.

If you want to contribute. Go to my profile and email me.

next up: Later this morning a recap of the D1 action Sunday