Monday, April 10, 2006

Photos, Signings & Thorpe's Soap Box


#1 posting 4.10.2006

Today Thorpe takes a look at single sport athletes in the heart of springtime. Check out the Soap Box down below. As you can see I figured out how to add photos. This is the first of many I hope.

SIGNINGS
MN/ND
Here is the press release for Jessica Tykwinski, Lincoln HI, MN signing with Valley City State
http://vikings.vcsu.edu/php/details.php?id=2790

Tiana Wilkinson of state AAAA champion Hopkins will sign with the University of Mary on April 12. Mary is in the process of moving up and will be in the Northern Sun conference next season. Here is a photo of Wilkinson in action in the state tournament. Thanks for the information
ND
Emily Moran of Northeast Community College in Norfolk, Nebraska has made a verbal to North Dakota State. Here is the Fargo Forum with the details http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=122527&section=Sports

COLLEGE COACHING NEWS
Bobbi Endress has been named the new coach at Augustana in Illinois. She was the coach at Edgewood College in Madison, WI. Here is the Quad City Times article.
http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/04/07/sports/doc4436010b3f65f119205037.txt

NUMBER 1s
HAWAII
Here is the poll in the Honolulu Star Bulletin. Iolani is still number one. Check out the other #s and stats http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/10/sports/story02.html

PROFESSIONAL NEWS
Here is a story on a book about the first attempt at women's professional basketball. It is called "Mad Seasons" by Karra Porter. This article is from the Sioux City Journal http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2006/04/10/sports/steve_allspach/9791becef783c5b38625714b007d9d8d.txt

THORPE ON A SOAP BOX

Basketball season is over . Or is it?? I see coaches working to form teams for AAU and kids trying out almost immediately after the high school State Tournament. AAU and summer leagues provide a purpose and have done some good things for Minnesota basketball.

However, sorry folks, I still believe in allowing kids to play other sports. It’s softball, track, golf, etc. season and I think it’s healthy for athletes to have a variety of experiences in high school. I know all the arguments: “You need to play year around if you are going to go division 1“. I don’t agree. In fact, I think a break is healthy. Sometimes I think it’s good to get away from hoops for awhile. That doesn’t mean you can’t go to open gym and shoot or play pick up games.That is different from being organized and being committed to a schedule and games on a regular basis. After all, who knows what sport you might play.

I remember Jessica Fiebelkorn (Miss Basketball) was recruited for basketball 1 by many schools and decided to accept a volleyball scholarship at Notre Dame. If you are a division 1 talent coaches will find you. Liz Podominak is now concentrating on track at the U. I wouldn’t be shocked if Kelly Roysland decided to play volleyball (she still has 2 years eligibility left). I would encourage her to keep hooping. I would hope high school coaches would work together and support other programs.

Just some thoughts.
Dave Thorpe

Remember if you have any news, go to my profile down below and e-mail me. I will get it up as soon as I can. Pictures are welcomed.
next up tomorrow afternoon.