Monday, March 31, 2008

Five for Five

#1 posting 3.31.2008
your daily dose of girls basketball news

MINNESOTA REPORTS
ALL STAR GAME
The Polar League All Star Game will be at Barnum tonight. The girls go early (my guess close to 6 pm) and the boys later.

WISCONSIN REPORTS
MORE RACINE ALL AREA
In my rush to head to Des Moines yesterday I inadvertently omitted the Racine Journal Times all area teams. If you just want the list of players, here it is.

ODD FACT: Five for Five
I want to congratulate the Ellsworth Panthers on their back to back boys state tournament championship. I got my start as the head boys coach there in 1983-84. On the Ellsworth 2008 team there are players who are the sons of players I coached. That puts things in perspective.
The odd fact is that every school I drew a paycheck from made the boys or girls state tournament:
After Ellsworth I went to Mpls South as the head girls basketball coach (they finished second in the girls AAAA tournament.
After South I went to Osseo as a girls assistant and eventually head girls basketball coach (they made the AAAA tournament).
I also have coached at Cooper and Mpls Henry in volleyball and both those teams made the boys basketball tournament.
The lesson----hire me and your school will be in the tournament 20 years later.

Next up: college reports, and then the first two out & abouts from the Iowa AAU state tournament